Interested in Becoming a MTM Partner?
Lauren Stewart, Manager
(314) 367.9243 ext. 106
MTM is a 501 (c) 3 organization.
The mission of Moves That Matter (MTM) is to make the game of chess available in health and human service organizations for the benefit of patients, family members, and caregivers. MTM does this by partnering with these organizations to establish chess playing programs and opportunities within their facilities. Patients, family members, and caregivers looking for a distraction from everyday challenges may embrace the game to enjoy its challenge or as a way to pass the time and make a social and emotional connection with someone else.
How Does MTM Work?
MTM will work with you to identify areas within your facilities to play chess and will provide you with the appropriate equipment. We will also supply training, as necessary, for your volunteers to ensure they are able to engage others in the game.
What Does MTM Specifically Provide?
MTM will work with you to tailor this program to fit your needs. In addition to providing you with chess boards and pieces, we are happy to do the following:
- Design and help implement a kick-off event for the program
- Provide chess training opportunities for your volunteers interested in also acting as MTM volunteers
- Provide templates for internal marketing materials and volunteer feedback and evaluation forms
What Does a MTM Partner Need to Do or Provide?
This will depend upon the extent of your participation, but generally you will need to:
- Provide sufficient, secure space for chess play
- Distribute and publicize marketing materials associated with the kick-off event and program
- Provide volunteers to play chess with your patients/caregivers
- Distribute MTM volunteer feedback and evaluation forms
Who Can be a MTM Partner?
There are many applications for this program and we are open to your ideas. The following are examples of venues that will work with MTM:
- Hospitals (waiting rooms, break rooms, entertainment areas, in-room use)
- Rehabilitation Centers (either as entertainment or therapy)
- Treatment Centers
- Nursing Homes
- Retirement Communities
- Community Centers
How Does the Training Work?
Depending on your location, we will either provide a chess coach to teach your volunteers or access to online training through the Chess Club & Scholastic Center of Saint Louis.
Who Can Play with MTM Volunteers? Do You Have to Know How to Play Chess?
Anyone can play, from those who are interested in learning the game to those who understand a few simple moves to those who are more interested in competitive play.
*Moves That Matter is an outreach program of the World Chess Hall of Fame.